Lisa devotes her practice to representing professionals whose reputations—and, often, licenses and livelihoods—are at stake.
Lisa spends a significant portion of her time providing ethics advice and responding to disciplinary grievances and letters of inquiry received by attorneys and judges. She also regularly defends judges and lawyers in cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Board of Professional Conduct. She has advocated for law students and out-of-state attorneys seeking admission to the state bar in proceedings before the Board of Commissioners on Character and Fitness. She has also guided a number of professionals charged with unauthorized practice of law, including real estate agents, accountants, debt collectors, and interpreters, through proceedings before the Board on the Unauthorized Practice of Law. Cases before these tribunals involve elements from both civil and criminal law, and they require a specialized knowledge of the system and its rules, which Lisa has developed in her years of guiding professionals through the process.
Lisa also defends insurance agents and brokers facing errors and omissions claims, and she defends other licensed professionals, including lawyers and financial advisors, in professional malpractice litigation.
Lisa’s representation of judges and public officials across Ohio also extends to defense of federal civil rights litigation as well as employment law claims in trial and appellate courts. She also represents a variety of employers, both public and private, in employment litigation.
Presentations & Articles
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Professional Liability Defense, 2021-2023
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars (three-time recipient)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ethics Committee, Chair 2022-2024
- Counsel of Delegates, member 2023-2025
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee, Secretary 2022-2024
- Community Service Committee
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Committee
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law
- B.A., University of Colorado
Specialized Training and Experience
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy —Trial Advocacy Institute, participant 2012
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Salvation Army, Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, Camp Auxiliary President 2016–present
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Champion’s Program
- Defense verdict in FMLA/pregnancy discrimination claim
- Obtained dismissal of six-count disciplinary complaint against judge after presentation of Relator’s case to Panel of Professional Board of Conduct—a very unusual event
- Obtained reinstatement of license for attorney with indefinite suspension
- Won summary judgment on preemption and causation grounds in case against major airline
- Disciplinary Counsel v. Phillabaum, 144 Ohio St. 3d 417 (2015)
- Disciplinary Counsel v. Oldfield, 140 Ohio St. 3d 123 (2014)
- Disciplinary Counsel v. Land, 138 Ohio St. 3d 357 (2014)
- Cincinnati Bar Ass’n v. Jansen, 138 Ohio St. 3d 212 (2014)
- Aloi v. Enlow, 2014-Ohio-3448 (11th Dist. 2014)
- Cimerman v. Cook, 561 Fed. App’x 447 (6th Cir. 2014)
- Bright v. Gallia Cty., 753 F.3d 639 (6th Cir. 2014)
- Ohio State Bar Ass’n v. Evans, 137 Ohio St. 3d 441 (2013)
- Wellman v. PNC Bank, 508 Fed. App’x 440 (6th Cir. 2012)
- Huffer v. Bogen, 503 Fed. App’x 455 (6th Cir. 2012)
- Engle v. Wiseman, 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 26502 (6th Cir. 2011)
- D.D. v. Washington Cty., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27720 (S.D. Ohio 2011)
- Dotson v. Lane, 360 Fed. App’x 617 (6th Cir. 2010)
- Helfrich v. Branstool, 2009-Ohio-2865 (5th Dist. 2009)
- Bell v. Nichols, 2009-Ohio-4851 (10th Dist. 2009)
- Stewart v. Lowry, 2008-Ohio-6414 (11th Dist. 2008)
Lisa has presented on a variety of professional liability topics, as well as employment-related topics. Her most recent speaking engagements include:
- December 2022 - Cincinnati Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Institute, Panelist - "Ethics - What is Privilege and What Isn't When it Comes to Fee Applications & Motions to Withdrawal"
- November 2022 - Cincinnati Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Seminar, Speaker - "Ethics of Practicing Law Across State Lines"
- September 2022 - American Bar Association, Fall 2022 National Legal Malpractice Conference, Panelist - "Cultivating a Communication Culture"
- October 2021 - The Miller-Becker Seminar, Panelist - "Understanding OLAP and its Role in the Disciplinary Process"
- October 2020 - Ohio Judicial College, Retired Judges Seminar - "Ethical Considerations in Retirement"
- November 2019 - The Miller-Becker Seminar, Panelist - "Crossroads: Technology & Ethics"
- December 2019 - NBI Seminar - "Workplace Disputes," Speaker - "Upholding Ethical Standards"